Member of the Quarter - Spring 2019 - Mark Dingmann
1. Name/Nick name:
Vice President and General Manager at McDowall Company (HVAC and Roofing Commercial Construction Company).
St. Cloud, MN
5. How long have you been a member of GCC?
11 months (started June 2018)
6. What do you love about GCC?
I love the atmosphere, comradely, coaches are excellent, and the fact that everyone is there for slightly different reasons, but in the end we’re all there to better our health and fitness.
7. What keeps you motivated?
Staying healthy for my kids, family, and myself are my motivation. I am a Type 1 diabetic, and CrossFit has helped me manage my diabetes tremendously and keeps me motivated every day.
8. Tell us what your biggest CrossFit moment and/or biggest PR is!
Even before starting CrossFit I’ve wanted to get into a CrossFit competition. I did my first competition in January of 2019 with John R. from GCC, and we took 2nd place in the RX Division (thanks to John and me just trying to keep up). I look forward to doing more of them in the future.
9. What's your biggest fitness fail!?
LOL!!! Pull ups every time I attempt them, and my first HSPU attempt (luckily no one was looking).
10. What is your favorite workout and movement?
Power cleans and rowing.
11. What is your least favorite workout and movement?
Anything with pull ups and it’s not even close.
12. What advice would you give a new/potential member?
Just get in the door and listen to your coaches, that’s all you have to do. The workouts take over from there and before you know it, you’re doing things you never thought you could. Everyone walked through that door for the first time at some point.
13. Tell us something we don't know about you!
I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes when I was 27 years old, which changed my life forever. There is no cure for Type 1 diabetes, so I am reliant on wearing an insulin pump and CGM (Continuous Glucose Monitor). Food, exercise, stress, etc. all have an affect on my blood sugar being high or low, so I continuously monitor that at all times. CrossFit has tremendously helped me control my diabetes, which is a huge motivation for me.
14. What do you do when you don't CrossFit?
Spend time with 2 boys (Easton age 8, Mason age 6) and wife (Leslie), work a lot, and also am the President of the Sartell Baseball Association because of have a passion for helping kids in youth sports and baseball.
15. Favorite healthy meal and/or snack.
16. Favorite cheat meal and/or snack.